Monday, June 21, 2010

Last Hoorahs

These last few days have been filled with visiting and saying good bye to family, watching World Cup games with friends, and tying up loose ends at work. I'm also getting my last fix of Cairo's cultural events.

On Thursday, I went to one of my favorite spots in Cairo, Darb 1718, which is located behind Coptic Cairo. The place is an art gallery that usually hosts experimental work that could be straight out of some hipster's basement in Brooklyn. The best thing about Darb is when they screen films. They have a great outdoor setup where they project movies on a wall and lay out lots of bean bags for your sitting pleasure. Thursday was the start of the Cairo Refugee Film Festival. A bunch of us from RLAP went together to see the opening film Pray the Devil Back to Hell. It's a generally uplifting story about women in Liberia demanding peace and an end to the Liberian civil war. I liked it.

Darb 1718

Looks like a horror movie. Except it ...is.

On Saturday, I went to another great place, the Gomhorreya Theatre, where the Pockemon Crew, a French break dancing group, was performing. The posters advertising the event had (what I hope was unintentional) typo. On the French copy, the poster said the performance started at 9 pm. The Arabic said 8 pm. The promoters of the show must know all about Egyptian time.


The dance show itself was fairly entertaining. The break dancing itself was great. The crew is very talented. However, some of the other dances felt a little silly--like the choreographed interpretive dance to the economic crisis.

I admit, after seeing an interpretive dance about the economic crisis, I did have a better understanding of credit default swaps.

After the show, we checked out the art on display in the lobby of the theater and came across this picture of a bear mauling a dancer. I hope it's art imitating life.

I'm definitely going to miss all of these great, cheap events.

No comments:

Post a Comment