Saturday, January 30, 2010

Wadi Degla Protectorate

Running in Cairo is unheard of. The streets are too crowded, the sidewalks are too broken (or non-existent), and the people would all stop to stare at and probably heckle you. Fortunately, I'm not much of a runner. However, I did get a good tip about an area on the outskirts of the city that was great for running so I checked it out today in case I got inspired to exercise in the near future.

Lillie and I went to Wadi Degla, a desert valley that stretches for 30 km. We did not fully think through how much 30 km is (to be fair, there was no scale on the map) and got tired after an hour, so we only scratched the surface of the area. It was peaceful and beautiful. We strayed from the path and walked along the valley ridge which turned out to be not the smartest thing to do since. After 40 minutes of walking, we realized there would be no easy way to get down. Eventually we found a kinder incline and slowly descended. Our walk had become an intense hike.

It was a foggy day but fog doesn't stop adventure.


Little people in the bottom left corner for scale--it was hard to realize how high up we were since the desert has a way of making everything blend together.

On our way back, we ran into some people picnicking in the area. I asked if there was a cafeteria nearby. They looked at me like I was crazy and then gave us a bottle of water. (Again, to be fair, the brochure said there was a visitor's center that had a cafeteria--it just turned out to be another 15 miles away from us). There's still much to explore in this area but I think we'll try going with a car next time. Walking aimlessly in the desert is nice but... I'm no monk.

No comments:

Post a Comment