Wednesday, November 11, 2009

My First Visitor

My mom is here! She arrived on Sunday and is staying for the next two weeks. We having a grand time ketching up and, more importantly, visiting monasteries (the real reason she's here).

Yesterday, we went to the Monastery of St. Macarius the Great. What's great about this particular monastery is that it's generally closed to all visitors. This means that if you do get to go inside, it is extremely quiet and peaceful and ...monastic. Many of the monasteries I've been to so far have been noisy and filled with tourists and pilgrims, creating a very casual atmosphere that takes away from the holiness of the place. But not here.

One of my mom's monk friends who lives here invited us to spend the morning with him. We talked for a while and then made a stop at the bookstore before heading out. I'm excited to read my new book, An Optimistic Vision of Divine Justice by Father Matta El-Meskeen. I never realized how much pessimism has seeped into matters of divine justice but I'll find out soon enough. And now, pictures!

The monastery is surrounded by trees that the monks planted. They have huge tracts of land and grow all sorts of fruit throughout the year.

Here's the church, here's the steeple, open the doors, thank God there's no people

We took this picture again after my mom asked me, "Why are you afraid of coming close to Jesus?"

A small cemetery in the desert for monks.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tunt :)... Get closer to Jesus Mark! Lol. Did you catch the celebrations in Cairo???? It must've been crazy. Yo, catch a flight to Sudan and go cheer your country on.. they're probably discounted and it'll be another country to visit.

    ReplyDelete