Sunday, October 18, 2009

Experimenting

The 21st Cairo Festival of Experimental Theatre is currently going on, and on Friday night, a friend and I decided to check out one of the plays. It was by an Iraqi troupe called "The Workshop of On-Going Rehearsals" and the title of the play was "The Shadows." We had no idea what to expect. Five of Clubs.

Online, the schedule said that the play started at 8:30 pm. When we got there at 8:30, it was already half an hour in. I'm pretty sure that even if I had gotten there at the start, I still wouldn't have understood it. Basically, it was three actors (two men, one woman) screaming at each other in Modern Standard Arabic (fus'ha) in front of a couch while a fourth actor typed on a laptop in the background. One of the men had his pants off most of the time so he was just in underwear and a big t-shirt. The woman had a gun and was angry at the pantless man for some reason. My favorite parts were when people in the audience would laugh and clap at certain lines and I would have no idea why and when people would not only not silence their cell phones but also answer them and have conversations while the play was still going on.

To be fair, I'm not sure if I would've understood the play even if it wasn't in Modern Standard Arabic, but it was an entertaining experience. Plus, it was performed at the Cairo Opera House which has very nice grounds:

Pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment